Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Headlong into surgery

I've basically had two doctors during this process: an oncologist and a surgeon. They could not possibly be more different, personality-wise.

For instance, here are their reactions to my recent CAT scan:

ONCOLOGIST - "Absolutely spectacular. It's as if you never had cancer. It's completely eradicated. I mean, it's still there, under the surface, but we really beat the hell out of it with the radiation. Spectacular results. Spectacular!"

SURGEON - "Yeah, it's fine, I guess."

I've never been in a room with both of them at the same time, but I would imagine that it would be hilarious.

So, anyway, good news on the scans. So now we're ready for surgery, which I understand will look something like the "Do you confess?" scene near the end of Braveheart. The surgery will take place on February 4, AKA the day after the Patriots win the Superbowl. Between now and then, I have approximately 45 appointments with various doctors, and a nasty cavity session with a dentist, but we're almost at the finish line.

Well, not quite the finish line, as it seems the oncologist wants to do more chemo after I recover from the surgery. Which is just super.

Thanks, as always, for the kind thoughts and prayers. As much as it's going to suck, getting to surgery is an absolute gift from the heavens--it's the opportunity to beat this that my mom never got. I can't help but think that all of the positive thoughts from everyone out there have helped to make this happen. I am forever in your debt.

7 comments:

  1. Great news dude! This post made my day! We are so happy for you!!! Prayers do work and God is so so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippeeee! Very strange think to that about surgery, but we know that you don't play by the rules... Wish you the best and really truly wishing there was something I could do to make thus easier for you. Praying for you and sending lots of good mojo your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how great being approved for surgery is Josh! I look forward to years ahead when we trade medical war stories. This is fantastic news. On a selfish front...may I divert a tiny bit of hope to the Pats actually beating SF in the superbowl? I mean, did you see Kaepernick? He frightens me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news, Josh...we are just so thrilled and would love give you all great big hugs...including that oncologist of yours! xoxo
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Utterly brilliant news!! Do you think you can weave your magic and do something to lift the fortunes of the Toon..after all, you walk on water my/our friend.

    The Limeys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear this, Josh! Sending lots and lots of positive energy to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete