Friday, December 21, 2012

The gift that keeps on giving


I probably shouldn't write this. But it's 1:30 in the morning and I can't sleep. So what the hell.

I had a truly unique experience this week. Three times.

On three separate occasions this past week, three different groups came to Cindy and I with donations. As in large checks (or, in the case of one, bundles of gift cards to local stores). And it was more than money. There were hundreds of dollars worth of groceries, more gift cards, even a computer. I am absolutely stunned by such generosity, particularly in these difficult times.

And let me state, unequivocally (as we will communicate to the groups as well), that we could not be more honored, more grateful, or more humbled by these gifts. If you're reading this and you were one of the many generous donors, there is a possibility that the words that follow will indicate to you that we are in some way upset by these gifts. This couldn't be further from the truth. Please believe me when I tell you that we are absolutely in awe of the kindness that has been bestowed upon us.

Here's the thing: I've sorta been working under the understanding that, all things considered, Cindy, the kids, and I were doing okay. Financially, sure, things are tight without two full incomes anymore, but we're doing fine. Health-wise, I'm just a few days into my month of recovery and, frankly, feeling pretty good. Hell, Cindy and I went to lunch at the Fours the other day. I put pants on and everything. 

How can one juxtapose dozens of people thinking I'm so seriously ill that my family requires financial assistance with lunch at the Fours? Or even Chipotle? 

The only real complaint I have is about my hair. It was never that great to begin with--my mother let me go to school for 18 years looking like Bjorn Borg circa 1974--but the chemo has done weird things to it. It's not like a Brillo pad anymore…it got weirdly soft and airy. I look like Moses right after he saw the Burning Bush.



So, as I said, I had few complaints about how things were going. Everything was under control, finance-wise, health-wise, household-wise, etc.

Then one of these gifts comes in. Then another. Then a third. 

And that's when it dawned on me: I'm the only person in the world who can't see how screwed I am.

(Again, kind donors, it's not your fault that this is where my mind went. And I pray you don't find me ungrateful for going there)

I mean, I must be in some world-class, North Korea-level self-denial about my foothold on reality. And Cindy, that scoundrel, is complicit in this self deception.

For so many to give so much to us, giving things they themselves surely need for their own families, are they seeing something that I'm in denial about? Do they see that I'm standing on the edge of a cliff when I feel like I'm, at worst, tip-toeing carefully around a heavily-sedated tiger? 

What's the reality and what's the fantasy? I have to say that the events of the past week have shaken the rust off of the part of me that should've been scared shitless all along. Maybe that's good. Maybe all of the silly blogs and cutesy commentary about Bob Dylan was just a wall I put up between how I wanted to feel (Brave? Relentlessly positive?) and how I should feel (So scared that I can't sleep…hopeful but cognizant of the long odds).

I guess I don't know which side of the fence to fall on anymore. And it probably doesn't matter. The cancer doesn't care either way.

So I guess I'll end this by repeating that we are humbled and awed by the generosity bestowed upon us. And scared out of our minds.

And Merry Christmas.

5 comments:

  1. "Worry is a misuse of the imagination." I don't remember who said it, but it helps me remember that even if we can't control the shit that comes our way, we can choose our response to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! You're doing a great job of holding it all together - you guys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Josh:

    My parents were Holocaust Survivors, when I was a little boy my dad would repeat this story as a lesson, over and over again. When the Germans started the deportations to the camps they loaded the Jewish families from their town into train cars. It just so happen that it was the eve of Simchat Torah, the holyday of giving of the Torah. Packed like sardines, suffocating with no amenities of any kind, the Rabbi suddenly started to chant the famous Rabbi Akiva song who sang on the way to the gallows, titled Ani Maamin Beemuna Shlema le Biat Hamashich, meaning I believe with all my heart to the coming of Messiah. And my dad would add that if the people gathered the power of trust at those moment of despair and death, and still sing that song to GOD in hopes of survival, then everyone of us must believe that there would be better days ahead. Our family TG, survived the holocaust, my dad to tell the story. Hang in there boy, miracles happen, bring them on with your trust.

    God bless you and God bless your friends who came throw in moments of need.

    Happy holydays, happy ne year. We love you, Abe your remote cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh -- I think everyone's just trying to get on your good side so that when you ultimately make your full recovery and the wealth or your two incomes starts pouring in again, you'll be good to them. (Sorry to blow the cover of all the gift givers.)

    ~Katrina

    PS. Merry Christmas and Happy Late Hannukah. (I'm still spelling the latter wrong I think. Weren't we in the same fourth grade class? I thought I remember your teaching me how to spell it once. I may have failed you.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh, all of us that know you or, in my case, know your father want to give something to help your situation. Since, individually, we cannot cure cancer(wish we could), we find other ways. In most cases, I imagine, we give prayer. For example, I include you in my silent prayer at church every Sunday along with others that may need God's healing hand. Others may add gifts of love, financial help or their presence in your life. The gifts may vary; but, the reasoning, I think, is that many of us share the same values of wanting to give to help others. So we give what we can. God Bless you and your family for continued success. Max

    ReplyDelete