Tuesday, July 24, 2012

In Hell's waiting room

CAT scan day has come and gone. Waiting for the follow-up phone call was the worst seven hours of our lives. Here's the bottom line:


-The biopsy has confirmed that I have malignant cancer in both my stomach and my esophagus.


-The CAT scan did NOT find any proof of the cancer having spread to either the liver or the lungs.


-The CAT scan did show indications of inflamed lymph nodes, which could be a problem. 


-The GI doctor feels that, if I'm able to have surgery, it will likely involve the removal of my spleen as well. But I've never even used my spleen, so I'm fine with that.


I have now been handed off to an oncologist, who I see for the first time on Monday. He'll be the one to answer the nagging questions, such as "What stage cancer is it?" and "Is surgery still an option?" and "Where's the Oxycontin vending machine?"


All-in-all I'd rate the CAT scan news as a solid B+. Had the scan found evidence that the cancer had spread to the liver or lungs, it probably would have ruled out surgery and I would have no chance of a full recovery. Further scans could show that the cancer has, in fact, spread to the liver and lungs but, for now, I haven't been voted off the island just yet.


Thanks for all of the kind words, thoughts and prayers! Will keep you up-to-date as soon as I know more!

2 comments:

  1. Josh,
    I want you to know that Jeff and I are thinking of you guys and so unbelievably upset that you are going through this...Two amazing people...two amazing people who have already faced so much, and with such grace...your blog amazes me...you force me to laugh when I want to cry. I love you guys, and I'm thinking of you every day. Please let us know if we can do anything as you face the road to treatment and recovery. xo
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    We are thinking about you and your family and will be praying for you every night. Your blog is written so beautifully and very inspirational. We are here for whatever you need. We love you all! Linda, Chris, Michael and Christina Donoso xoxo

    ReplyDelete