Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Taking inventory

And then, on top of everything else that happened, the cat died. She died sitting on the passenger-side seat of Cindy's car, a place where I have nearly died on countless occasions. The way Cindy drives makes Richard Petty look like a blue-haired leaf peeper.

A few days later, Cindy adopted a new kitten named Stella, a name that Sam now screams Marlon Brando-style 53 times a day. 



Frankly, I was a bit unnerved by the speed with which Cindy moved from dead cat to replacement kitten. On a hunch, I checked her computer and, sure enough, found that she has already bookmarked Match.com, J-Date, and Christian Mingle. This broad works fast, just like my mother warned me.

Phase one of my scrap with cancer--four sessions of chemotherapy over 8 weeks--is now complete, but the doctors told me that the chemo-groundhog saw his shadow, meaning five more weeks of chemo and radiation.

After the initial round of chemo, the doctors took a CAT scan and at PET scan to see how we did. The surgeon held his cards close to the vest, noting that things have definitely shrunk but that there are still potential problems to be encountered when/if they cut me open. He said that, because of the position of the cancer, this will be both a stomach and a chest surgery. "That sounds painful," I said. "It is," he replied, "but the scars will be awesome. You can scare children at the beach."

The oncologist, on the other hand, was ecstatic with the scans. He and I even attempted what will forever be known as the world's most awkward high-five. Thank God it wasn't on film.

Then, I was quickly ushered to the radiation lab where two blonde technicians said "We need to tattoo your chest."

"Okay, let's make it Jesus riding a T-Rex," I said. "And have him holding an American flag in one hand and an AK-47 in the other. Jesus, I mean, not the T-Rex. The T-Rex's arms are too small."

Instead, they stripped off the top of my hospital gown and tattooed five little dots that they'll use to aim the radiation machine. Still, I get to say that I got five tattoos in one sitting, so I have that going for me.

In the meantime, I'm feeling great. Sam, after another brief hospital scare, is doing great as well. Cindy and Sara are hanging in there. I can't thank you all enough for the positive words, thoughts, cards, calls, and packages. It's quite humbling to be the object of so much kindness.


5 comments:

  1. Thinking of the tattoo, of course I thought of this comic: http://xkcd.com/933/

    ReplyDelete
  2. my god, that is priceless, Will

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tattoo's or not..you are a rock star in my book. Love you all...thinking of you constantly. xo
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you get through ALL this will you please switch careers and be humorist for the New York Times? Reading your stuff always makes me grin, despite the serious subject. Who else could make cancer funny?!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a gift for finding the humor. That is a better treatment than what is aimed at your "tattoo." Laughter truly IS the best medicine and I believe it will be your cure. Hope Sam is back on track, too.

    ReplyDelete