Wednesday, September 19, 2012

chemo #3

My third chemo treatment has come and gone and now I'm just sitting in this chair, waiting to feel like crap. Chemo is not nearly the fountain of everlasting joy I thought it would be. Here is an abridged list of things I'd rather do than chemotherapy:

  • Watch any show that Cindy or Sara DVRs. I know more about wedding dresses now than Vera Wang
  • Remove any finger from my left hand
  • Moderate a 5-minute debate between a Tea Partier and an Occupier
On the plus side, this was the third of four scheduled chemo sessions, at least for this initial phase. After the fourth session, we'll do new CAT and PET scans to see if things have shrunk enough for surgery. That's about it for the medical update. Here are some random thoughts I've put in the drawer since the last blog:
  • When I pass a speed trap and I'm NOT speeding, I always wonder if the policeman is proud of me. That's normal, right?
  • At this point, I have to go to the Cancer Center just about every day, even if it's just for five minutes (to check vitals, to give me a shot, etc.). I've started bringing Sam to these appointments, and he's already become the Mayor of the Cancer Center. This happens everywhere he goes - school, church, the grocery store, etc. Sometimes I worry about his future, about how he'll cope with a cruel world when, eventually, he's on his own. Then I remember this secret power he has to endear everyone in his proximity to him, and I don't worry so much. 
  • What would happen if the man who inspired Adele's breakup record started dating the woman who inspired Bon Iver's breakup record? Billion dollar reality TV idea.

[What follows is all music related. No one would blame you if you stopped reading now.]


Chemotherapy music reviews

As always, please note that all of these albums were listend to while I was being slowly poisoned.


MARK KNOPFLER - PRIVATEERING:
Immaculate guitar playing. Soulful vocals. Zero goosebumps

I give it 2.5 doses of chemotherapy: 


GRIZZLY BEAR - SHIELDS:
My music-loving life if cursed. Every time I discover a band whose music I love, their next album inevitably disappoints (I'm looking at you, Badly Drawn Boy). Shields isn't as accessible as their breakout, but it's still pretty damn good.

3 doses: 


BOB DYLAN - TEMPEST:
No artist confuses me more than Bob Dylan. Every time I listen to one of his universally acclaimed late-career albums, it fails to move me. But it's Bob Dylan...I must not be getting it, right? It reminds me of this story my father told me once: he went to see this abstract play which left him conflicted and confused. He then noticed that the author John Updike was sitting in front of him, so, when the play was over, he tapped the author on the shoulder and said, "Mr. Updike, did I like that?"

That's how I feel after listening to Dylan. So, instead of rating this record, I've decided to embark on a project. I'm listing to his entire catalog, in order, so that I can try to unravel this guy. I started with:

BOB DYLAN - BOB DYLAN
Two things are noteworthy about this album of mostly covers of folk and blues songs:

  1. His singing, at times, is absolutely fierce. This is ironic, given the reputation of his vocals later in his career. He sounds like a man exploding with ideas faster than he can get them down on tape.
  2. I read some research about the record and learned that Dylan copped most of his arrangements on the covers directly from a contemporary folk singer, Dave Van Ronk. One can't help but wonder if Van Ronk would have become the household name that Dylan became if he had Zimmerman's wherewithal to adopt a snazzier stage name. Dave Van Halen, perhaps, or maybe Dave Van Gogh. Reminds me of the passage in The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, where it's pointed out that Hitler's original last name was Schicklgruber. To paraphrase that book, can you imagine the world being conquered by a man named Van Ronk?





4 comments:

  1. Does the name "Ramblin Jack Elliot" ring a bell? Son of a Jewish doctor in Brooklyn, Jack took off to become a singing cowboy. Dylan copied this guy unabashedly (guitar style and harmonica). A really wonderful dvd to watch is "The Ballad of Ramblin Jack" filmed by his daughter Aiyana. Jack was influenced by Woody Guthrie.
    Sometime, I hope I can do my Dylan impersonation for you...it comes in 3 phases (probably should be 4 now).
    All the best from the Albertis,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking for bands to love, have you tried The Audreys? Look for the album that has the tune "Banjo & Violin." Also, I love the band "And the Devil Makes Three." Definitely worth at least 3 Chemo Doses.

    elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately, every time I drive by a cop, I laugh, wondering if they're proud of me.

    ~Katrina

    ReplyDelete